Thursday, February 11, 2010

Schmatas, a case for same sex marriage

part 1 of 3:


I am far off my main topic today, the issue of whether gays should be able to marry on the Ocean Grove boardwalk. That's not my concern since the topic of marriage is so fraught with and compromised with value issues, issues of ownership and relationship. I think the topic is best to avoid and what else, if nothing else, is neurosis good for, if not to avoid topics that are uncomfortable. But more to the point and closer to my level of appreciation is the issue of walking down the boardwalk in a schmata. As most people should know, a schmata is a rag that became a house dress.  (Miraculous transformation - not.) My mother wore them. She would even customize her schmatas by tearing out any sleeves that were nicely sewn in and sewing stitches around the gaping armhole she left in its place. Her needlework reminded one of Dr. Frankenstein's handiwork on his walking corpse of a monster. (Frankenstein's monster wasn't as charming as a golem. (A subject for another day.)


Positive thought for the day:

Remember you cannot be forever young, but you can always be neurotic.

No comments: